Although early in the session, VTCA has been successful in advancing several pieces of legislation that we support on behalf of our members:
- HB 1525 (Yancey): Limits the use of cellphones in work zones, passed out of the Courts of Justice subcommittee 7-0, and now goes onto the full Committee.
- HJ 41 (LaRock): The Constitutional “lockbox” amendment which would limit the ability of the General Assembly to use transportation money for non-transportation purposed passed the Privileges and Elections Commitee 22-0.
In addition, several pieces of legislation that VTCA opposes, have been killed:
- HB 725 (Plum): This bill would have changed the definition of SWAM businesses, denying many of our members the opportunity to qualify as a SWAM business. That bill was defeated.
- HB 1070 (Heretick): This bill would have imposed additional burdens on P3 projects. It was defeated.
- SB 241 (Marsden): would have imposed an additional burden on highway contractors to use “local” labor forces. The bill was defeated.